Friday, August 10, 2012

Linda Welby

Linda Welby a native of Loughrea in Co Galway, Linda, is many things, singer, songwriter, radio presenter but first and foremost a mother of eight children. Her first album 'A Story to Tell' as the title suggested was a collection of self penned songs which she sang herself, Due to the success of the first album she went on to record her second 'The Best of Times' a collection of contemporary songs and music again, written and composed by herself. On meeting Linda she is very quite, almost shy, very unassuming, and very much un aware of her gift in writing songs. When you hear Linda sing there is no pretence, she sings with a natural voice, her native Galway accent strong. She has no airs or graces and sings from the heart. One of the reasons why she has become so popular over the last few years and one of the reasons why she has travelled to so many countries singing her own songs in her own style.



Linda has the uncanny ability of being able to very successfully manage raising a family while co-ordinating several work projects as well as writing, recording and performing her music up and down the country. With eight children ranging in ages from twenty two to nine, a day and night job and her music, just how does Linda find the time? Her answer,"When I had three kids I wondered how I would ever cope, I was absolutely run off my feet, but it seemed to get easier as time went on. That's how it seemed to me anyway. I don't think I'm that busy," I guess for me it started when I was younger, I was always a poetry writer and always loved words. So writing my own album came naturally".

Linda's career is driven by her passion for adventurous meaningful compositions and in pursuing this passion her musicianship and mastery of arrangement are broadly appreciated in the music industry. Linda has always kept her head and her heart despite her consistent rise and has no need for elaborate vocal embellishments to get her message across. Linda's cool, clear, soulful voice has always worn its emotions in the open. Writing is also something that Linda has been doing for years”

As a composer, songwriter, multi instrumentalist and singer, music has always been a part of Linda's life, her grandfather Paddy Doorhy was an accomplished fiddle player and played with the first Ballinakill ceili band. Linda's Father, also Paddy Doorhy, played drums and toured extensively with many bands and noted musicians. Linda's pure interest in people is clearly evident in her very approachable and friendly manner. "I sing and play because I love it and I do feel that any success that I have had has not changed me as a person. I like to keep things as normal as possible in my life because that is just the way I am". Sheer simplicity is what keeps this fun-loving and very independent free spirit happiest. "My songs tell a story of real people in real times, stories that can be true for a lot of people not just me, I believe that is why people of all ages connect with them"

The phenomenal success of her single release "The Galway Fiddler" has surpassed all expectations with regular airplays on Irish radio stations throughout the country, north and south, as well as BBC Wales, BBC Oxford, BBC Manchester and also some radio stations in Canada and New York. In recent times, Linda has had numerous successes with interviews on Irish Radio Stations, and in Northern Ireland including three with the renowned Gerry Anderson on Radio Foyle and more interviews on radio in mainland UK, Canada and the USA plus many Countries worldwide. She featured on RTE Nationwide Television and TG4 and won the award for Best Female Artist of 2008 on West Limerick Radio, The 2010 Texas International Artist of the year, and in 2010 she was voted Songwriter of the year by the listeners of Youghal Radio.

Linda Welby is fast becoming a star while at home in Roscahill she has never changed from being the down-to-earth hardworking wife and mother. Probably her crowning achievement so far is her recent visit to the USA to host a television show in a major Nashville television station which will be shown live on the internet worldwide, as well as radio interviews and very successful live concerts. If you get the chance to see this lady in concert, take the time to go and hear her. In the mean time you can visit her website at www.lindawelby.com

No comments:

Post a Comment