Friday, April 19, 2013

Andy Dunne

Well today after many years of trying to get local entertainer, singer songwriter Andy Dunne into the studio I finally got my wish at approx 1.15 when Andy walked in with his guitar under his arm. It has to be said the reason for the delay would sometimes be my fault or the schedule just didn't work when Andy was free I would be booked up When I had a free slot Andy was doing something else. Andy sat down and we started chatting about music and songs and then I asked him to sing something for the listeners. Up to then I had almost forgotten why I wanted to interview Andy so much and why I thought this talent should be heard by my listeners. As soon as he started to sing his self penned song "Living Proof" I was reminded of the amazing ability that is simple known as Andy Dunne. Andy will tell you himself that first and foremost he is an entertainer but here I would have to disagree a little, he is a gifted songwriter and a gifted story teller who has the unique ability to tell his story in song format. To me that's what Andy is first and foremost, after that there is no doubt that he will entertain you if you ever take the time out to go see him play live.

A little about Andy and this information is taken from his own website www.andydunne.com.

"I love to write songs but there are so many great songs out there from other people that I just think it’s impossible for me not to cover those as well”.  Though never an easy task, it’s becoming harder and harder for Andy to slip into any one genre as he continues to perform possibly the most eclectic set of songs you will hear from a solo Entertainer.  Known also for his ability to create audience interaction on even the quietest of nights, Andy’s natural onstage wit and banter add another dimension to what is already a great night’s performance and entertainment. .

A few years ago Andy guested on Mick Flannery’s Debut CD, “Evening Train” providing vocals and harmonica on the track Take It On The Chin. When it comes to songwriting, Andy has always written from the heart. Seldom delving into subjects such as politics or social philosophies Andy’s songs are more focused on matters of the heart and personal experience.” For me songwriting has always been like keeping a diary. It is also a very therapeutic way of self expression” Being influenced by such a vast range of songwriters and genres has given Andy’s songs depth and diversity.

Not only does Andy work as a solo artist he also plays with a verity of groups like Galleon, and is involved in many music projects.  Galleon are a Folk and Balad group from Cork City Ireland. They first began playing together in 1979. Andy has been part of the Galleon team for a number of years now. With regular concerts for whatever charity should need their help and occasional trips to Germany, Galleon keep the show alive because of their strong bond and love of music.

If you see a poster advertising Andy Dunne in your area take my advice its a night worth going to.

Listen in to the interview here.



No comments:

Post a Comment